It is the season of giving, a time to spread kindness and joy throughout your community. If you’re looking for ways to make a difference this Christmas, consider incorporating charitable activities into your holiday plans. We have compiled a list of ideas that inspire you to share love and generosity this holiday season.
- Adopt a Family for a Festive Meal: Get in touch with local charities or community centres in Nowra and offer to adopt a family in need. You can also go the extra mile and provide ingredients and recipes for a festive meal. This personal touch adds warmth and joy to their holiday celebration.
Additional information: Click To View A List of Local Charities In Nowra
- The Salvation Army – Nowra
- Legacy Group Nowra
- Vinnies Nowra
- Shoalhaven Corps
- Australian Red Cross
- Nowra Community Food Store
- Shoalhaven Homeless Hub
- Salt Care
- Southern Cross Housing – Nowra
Did we omit a local charity you know in Nowra? Add their names in the comment section for us to update this list.
- Make a Pay-it-Forward Donation: Consider paying for someone else’s groceries in advance. Some organisations and non-profits in Nowra facilitate pay-it-forward grocery purchases, which can be a great way to get involved with a charity to make a meaningful difference and create a ripple of positivity and kindness in the community.
- Send Cards to Seniors: Many seniors may spend the holidays alone. Brighten their days by creating and sending handmade or heartfelt cards. Reach out to local nursing homes or senior centres to distribute the cards.
- Bake and Share: Baking and sharing homemade cookies, cakes, or other treats is a great way to show appreciation to friends, neighbours, first responders, or your local service providers.
- Forgive someone or Mend Relationship: Forgiveness is a powerful act of kindness that can heal wounds, mend relationships, and bring peace to your heart. This Christmas, consider forgiving someone who has offended you as one of the most charitable things you can do. Letting go of anger and resentment can be challenging, but by forgiving someone who has wronged you, you give them the gift of a second chance and free yourself from negative emotions.
- Create Care Packages: Assemble care packages with essential items and festive treats. Distribute them to individuals experiencing homelessness or families facing financial challenges.
- Volunteer Virtually: Explore virtual volunteering opportunities. From online tutoring to virtual companionship for seniors, there are various ways to make a difference from the comfort of your home.
- Support Local Businesses: Support local food businesses by shopping and referring people to them. This not only supports local entrepreneurs but creates opportunities for a better-knit community.
Here is a list of local food businesses in Nowra that offer online shopping for home delivery.
- Contadino Olive farm– seasonal fruits, vegetables, Olives, Olive oil and more.
- Tea Journeys– They produce and package a wide variety of premium assorted teas. They also supply dairy milk alternatives.
- Bomo Bulk– Talk about fresh and dried organic food products. It’s Bomo Bulk.
- Staples – Locally sourced fruits, vegetables, and African food ingredients in Nowra.
- Beresfords Quality Meat– Award-winning traditional sausages, artisanal meat cuts, and more.
- A Touch of Charm– Free-range eggs and beautiful flowers.
- Teresa’s Trattoria– Italian meals
- Yo Mama’s Kitchen– Varieties of home-made jams, scones, and home-cooked meals for families
- Two Brown Men– Indian meals for families
- Other businesses-
- Animal Shelter Assistance: Get in touch with local animal shelters to find out how you can help. They may need monetary donations, pet supplies or volunteers to assist with the animals.
- Group Decoration: Select a group of friends and take turns creating Christmas decorations for each other’s homes on a scheduled date. This activity can provide an opportunity to bond and unleash your creative side.
- Share the Love: A small act of kindness can make a big difference in someone’s life. Offer to run errands for a neighbour, call to check on a family member or friend you’ve seen in a long time or spend time chatting with those who would love to have some company.
- Be a Secret Santa: Surprise someone becoming a Secret Santa. You can anonymously gift something special to a neighbour, coworker, or someone from a local charity.
- Virtual Caroling for a Cause: Organise a virtual carolling session with friends, family or community members to spread holiday cheer and create good memories.
- Express Gratitude: Take a moment to appreciate the people who have positively impacted your life. Write letters or send messages of gratitude to friends, family, colleagues, and community members.
- Create Food Gift Baskets: You can put together a collection of locally sourced goodies, homemade treats, and pantry staples. Afterwards, you can deliver these thoughtful baskets to elderly neighbours or families. It’s a gesture that brings both sustenance and holiday spirit.
- Organise a Food Drive with a Twist: Host a food drive in your area and add a creative twist. Encourage participants to donate ingredients for a specific holiday recipe. Collect the items, assemble recipe cards, and distribute complete meal kits to families in need or your favourite local charity. It’s a delightful way to share the joy of cooking during the festive season
Remember, every small act of kindness counts and can create a brighter, more compassionate community. May you have a joyful and meaningful holiday season!”